Ever come across pheasant, and been stuck on what to cook? Try this really simple, but delicious recipie!
30ml vegetable oil
2 rashers smoky bacon
1 large white onion, chunkily diced
1 medium carrot, peeled and quartered lengthways
1 parsnip peeled and quartered lengthways
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
1 thyme sprig
2 bay leaves
250ml chicken stock
1 tsp caster sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C/ 160 C fan/ gas 4.
- In a casserole dish heat the vegetable oil. Fry the bacon, vegetables and garlic until golden brown.
- Add the pheasant, herbs, sugar and stock.
- Put the lid on the pot and bring up to the boil. Put the casserole pot into the oven. Cook for 1 ½ hours until the juices of the bird run clear when pricked.
- Serve with roasted vegetables and homemade bread sauce.
UKHarvest have been donated half a tonne of pheasant in the lead up to Christmas! This unusual addition to the fridge, when compared to chicken, is higher in protein, but lower in calories and saturated fat.