Millions and millions of pumpkins are wasted every year, they aren’t just for carving! For being cheap to buy and super nutritious, it's a no-brainer to make something delicious from them.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
1 Small Pumpkin or Butternut Squash (400g once de-seeded)
2tbsp Olive Oil
1 Onion, diced
2 Garlic Clove, finely chopped
200g Risotto Rice
2tsp Ground Cumin
1ltr Vegetable Stock
50g Grated Parmesan
Small handful of Coriander, chopped
Large Frying Pan or Wok
Leave the skin on your pumpkin!
There are nutritional benefits to not peeling your vegetables.
- Keeping the skin on vegetables will increase fibre intake.
- As a nation, we do not eat enough fibre.
- Eating plenty of fibre is associated with a lower risk of heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and bowel cancer.
- A meal high in fibre will also make you feel fuller for longer and aids digestion.
- Heat the oven to 180oC. Chop the pumpkin or squash into small cubes. Place the cubes on a baking tray and drizzle with oil. Roast in the oven for approximately 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan or wok over a medium heat. Add the onion and start to soften for about 5 minutes.
- Once the onion is soft add the garlic and continue to cook for another minute until fragrant. Add the butter and allow it to melt.
- Add the rice and cumin and stir well to coat in the onion, garlic, and butter mix.
- Add 150ml of stock and stir. Continue to stir occasionally until all liquid is absorbed into the mix. Add some more stock and continue the process of stock mixing and absorption until all stock is used. (about 20 minutes)
- Check the rice is cooked, if not add a little more stock or water and cook until soft enough to eat. Stir in the parmesan, chopped coriander and roasted pumpkin or squash.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.