2 tbsp Olive or vegetable Oil.
2 small white onions- cut into fine dice.
1 kg Pumpkin
600ml vegetable or chicken stock. 11/2 -2 cubes depending on taste.
100ml whipping cream or double cream.
Salt & pepper
For the seeds
1 tbs olive or vegetable oil
½ tsp cumin or curry powder
Small handful of pumpkin seeds
- Carefully cut the top off the pumpkin. Use a big spoon to gouge out all the stringy soft middle section containing the seeds. Separate out the seeds and keep to one side.
- Use a peeler to remove all the skin from the outside of the pumpkin. Cut the pumpkin into sections, then into 3cm cubes. Set to one side.
- Heat some oil in a saucepan, add the onion and garlic, cook gently for 4-5 mins until the onions are tender and glassy looking.
- Add the diced pumpkin followed by the stock. Bring up to the boil, then turn down to simmer for 10-15 mins until the pumpkin is tender. Add the cream, bring up to the boil then remove the pot from the heat. Liquidize the pumpkin mixture with a hand blender and check for seasoning.
- Put the pumpkin seeds onto a baking tray covered with non-stick paper. Drizzle lightly with the oil then season with salt and some spices. Put into the oven set at 175 deg. Centigrade for 10-15mins until golden brown.
- Serve the soup into a bowl, whiz a little cream around the centre then sprinkle with some of the roasted pumpkin seeds.