Make use of your carved or uncarved pumpkin this October with our Chilli Stuffed Pumpkin with Rice recipe!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
1 Medium Sized Pumpkin or Squash, deseeded
1 Onion, diced
2 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
1 Tin Baked Beans
2 Tins Of Other Beans Or Lentils
1 Pepper, diced
1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes
1 Chilli Spice Mix
1 Chilli, thinly sliced (optional)
1 Tbsp Oil / 25g Margarine or Butter
100g Melted Cheese
Add any vegetables you may have to this mix for extra flavour.
Serve with nachos or tortillas.
This chilli mix can also be used to stuff peppers or potato skins.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C ready for later.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok over a medium heat. Add the diced onion and fry for about 5 minutes until the onion is softened.
- Add the garlic to the onion and mix well and continue to cook for another minute until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the diced pepper, chopped tomatoes, spice mix and stir, cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the baked beans and 2 other tins of beans to the mix including all juice and liquid from the tins. Stir well to combine all flavours. If using a fresh chilli for extra heat add that now.
- Increase the heat to bring the mixture to the boil, once boiling reduce the heat and allow the pan to simmer for about 15 minutes or until the liquids have reduced and the mixture has thickened.
- When thickened fill the empty pumpkin with the chilli and sprinkle the cheese over the top, oven roast for approximately 30 minutes or until the has pumpkin cooked (the pumpkin’s skin has blistered).
- Whilst roasting the pumpkin, bring a large pan of water to the boil. Once the water is boiling add the rice and cook for 8 - 10 minutes until soft.
- Serve immediately or cool for re-heating later. This chilli can be frozen once cooked if making ahead of