2 x sweet potatoes (around 400g)
100g unsalted butter, cubed
200g chocolate, chopped
2 x eggs, beaten
100g self-raising flour
25g cocoa powder
Really mush the sweet potato for a gooey brownie.
If you have got a sweet tooth, 1 tsp vanilla essence to the mix.
For a tasty addition, add 1 tsp. ground ginger to the mix.
If you’ve got more chocolate knocking around, chop into chocolate chip sized pieces add stir through the mix, just before spreading out into the tin.
- Heat the oven to 200C / fan 180C / gas 6 and butter and line a square 20cm brownie tin.
- Wrap the sweet potatoes in foil, put on a baking sheet and roast for 35 - 45 minutes or until soft.
- Once cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh and measure 200g into a bowl.
- In a pan, melt the butter and chopped chocolate over a low heat, stirring regularly.
- Add the sugar to the sweet potato, beat until smooth and stir through the melted chocolate and butter.
- Slowly mix in the beaten egg, then the vanilla extract (if using). Sift in the flour, cocoa powder and ground ginger (if using) and mix well.
- If you’re using chocolate chip pieces, fold in the brownie tin and smooth the top.
- Bake in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes until just set and still a little soft in the middle. Cool in the tin then remove and cut into pieces.