Your five-a-day vegetables in one dish! To celebrate our new partnership with Pollen and Grace, Roger has adapted their nutritious and delicious vegetable pie!
¾ Butternut squash (save the other ¼ for a
delicious veggie soup)
130g cup peas
1 red onion
1 large leek
1 punnet chestnut mushrooms
½ bunch chives
200g cream (Vegan alternative)
1 large cauliflower
2 tbsp heaped cream cheese (Vegan alternative)
3 tbsp olive oil
Salt & pepper
- Peel and cut the squash into 2 cm cubes, then peel and cut the onion into large wedges
- Add both to an oiled baking tray, sprinkle with salt, drizzle with olive oil and roast in the oven for 40mins on 180°C (turning occasionally).
- Top and tail the leek, then cut it into slices. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil over a low heat and sauté the leek until soft (typically about 10mins).
- Cut your mushrooms into quarters, then add them to the leeks and sauté until cooked.
- Chop your chives.
- Mix all ingredients together in a pie dish: squash, onion, leek, mushrooms, frozen peas, chives and salt. Pour over the cream and mix until all combined. Fatten out the mix.
- Add the cauliflower mash and spread until it evenly coats the veg mixture. Drizzle with olive oil and bake in the oven for 40 mins, until golden.
FOR THE CAULIFLOWER MASH:
- Remove leaves from cauliflower and cut into florets. Add to a pan of boiling water and boil until soft
- Add to a food processor or blender* along with ‘nush’ and 1tsp salt. Blend until smooth.
*We’ve tried mashing the cauliflower with a fork and it’s really not that good. To get delicious, ‘can’t believe it’s cauliflower’ mash, a blender or food processer is essential
Top and tail = remove the top and bottom of a fruit and vegetable
Sauté = to fry quickly in a little fat