Have you thought of using your slow cooker to make bread? Diana, a volunteer from the UKHarvest training kitchen has worked on this recipe with us to make banana and pecan bread in the slow cooker! Although a slow cooker takes a long time to cook food compared to an oven, it costs a lot less to power. Read our 'Slow Cooker Top Tips' here.
Serves: 8 - 10
Prep Time: 15 - 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 - 2½ hours
100g Golden Caster Sugar
3 Ripe Bananas, mashed
225g Self-Raising Flour
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
60g Pecans, finely chopped
Baking Parchment Paper
Wire Rack (optional)
Place a cloth under the slow cooker lid when baking to absorb any condensation as the cake cooks.
You can cook the cake in a loaf tin, if you prefer, just make sure the tin fits in the slow cooker pot.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
- Mix in the bananas and eggs.
- Stir in the flour, cinnamon, and vanilla. Fold in the pecans.
- Line the slow cooker pot with baking parchment and tip in the mixture. Cover with the lid.
- Cook on HIGH for two to two and a half hours or until the cake is firm in the center and an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.