Surprise yourself with how easy it is to make delicious and fresh Gnocchi from scratch. This is warming and hearty dish is a great way to feed the whole family for an affordable price!
Serves: 6 - 8
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
For the Gnocchi:
1kg Potatoes, washed and chopped into chunks
Salt & Pepper
For the Sauce:
1 Onion, finely diced
2 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
2 x 400g Cans of Chopped Tomatoes
Few Sprigs Fresh Basil, chopped or 2 - 3tsp Dried Herbs
Parmesan or Other Cheese, grated to serve
Why not try?
Topping the gnocchi with pan fried chicken, fish or vegetables.
Serving the gnocchi with a crisp, fresh salad or garlic bread.
Mashed swede mixed with sweet potato for a colourful and tasty alternative.
- Wash and chop your potatoes into chunks. In a saucepan, bring the chopped potatoes to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until softened. Drain, cool then mash.
- Chop your onion and garlic into small pieces. To make the sauce, start by heating the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion for about 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add in the garlic, chopped tomatoes and sugar and stir well. Gently cook the tomato sauce for 15 - 20 minutes, until its reduced and thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the herbs.
- Mix the flour gradually into the cooled mashed potato. Beat the egg and pour it into the potato mix, use your hands to form a soft dough. Place the dough on to a floured surface and gently bring together to form a smooth ball.
- Divide the dough into quarters. Roll each quarter into a long thin sausage shape then cut into small pieces about the size of a grape. Have fun experimenting with different shapes or leave as they are.
- To cook the gnocchi, bring a pan of water to a simmer and gently add the gnocchi, being careful to not splash yourself with water. Cook the gnocchi in roughly batches of 20 for about 2 - 3 minutes or until they rise to the surface. Scoop them out with a slotted spoon and place on a plate. Cover with foil to keep warm whilst you cook the remaining batches.
- If necessary, reheat the tomato sauce and serve spooned over the gnocchi. Sprinkle over Parmesan (or any other) cheese if you like.