375 g plain flour
225g unsalted butter, cut into 1cm cubes
1 egg yolk
75g caster sugar
2-3 drops vanilla extract
1 ½ tbsp cold water
pinch of salt
5 - 6 medium eating apples
Juice of 1 lemon
Cinnamon Custard Filling
2 egg yolks
90g caster sugar
1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
300 ml double cream
Icing sugar, to dust
Sieve the flour into a large bowl, add the sugar and cubed butter. Quickly and lightly work the mixture between your fingers until a breadcrumb consistency has been achieved. In another bowl, lightly whisk the egg, egg yolk, cold water and vanilla extract.
- Make a bay in the flour mixture then add the egg mixture. Slowly work all the ingredients together until you have a paste. Lift out and shape into a ball, wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 20 mins.
- Once the pastry has chilled, remove from the fridge. Dust a tabletop with flour, then roll out the pastry. the pastry should be 3mm and bigger than the tart ring on all sides. Lay the pastry onto pastry ring and work into position. Trim off any extra pastry. Work into place until a neat finish has been achieved. Cover the pastry tin with cling film and return to the fridge for another ½ hour. This allows the pastry to firm up and hold its shape.
- While the pastry is chilling, peel and core the apples. Cut each apple into 8 pieces creating wedge shapes. Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon over the apple wedges, stir together to cover them. This stops the apple wedges turning brown. Set to one side.
Custard filling method
- Place the eggs, the egg yolks, the caster sugar and ground cinnamon in a bowl. Whisk lightly.
- Add the double cream and stir until it is fully mixed in. Hold to one side.
- Remove the lined tart tin from the fridge. Neatly place the apple wedges in the pastry starting from the outside and spiraling into the centre. Ladel the custard mix into the pastry tin almost filling to the top.
- Place the tart ring onto a flat baking tray and put into a preheated oven at 170°C. Bake for approximately 1 hour until golden brown and the mixture has set.
- After 1 hour remove from the oven, set aside to cool. Remove from the tart tin. Serve warm, dusted with icing sugar.