This recipe has been donated by Claudia Golden, one of our lovely volunteers.
For 4 people
Double quantity of tomato sauce (see below)
50g Olive oil
4 Mozzarella balls (sliced) or approx. 500g grated mozzarella
1. Pre heat oven to near max temp
2. Slice aubergines and lay on oiled baking sheet. Brush each slice with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Do not overlap so may need 2 or 3 trays or cook in batches.
3. When oven is really hot, cook slices for approx. 15/20 mins until they have changed colour and slightly brown. (There is no need to fry slices or salt them)
4. When all slices have been cooked set to one side and gather the rest of the ingredients and a pyrex/baking dish
5. Spread some tomato sauce at the bottom of your dish.
6. Over this place some of your aubergines slices. (like a lasagna layering)
7. Spread some tomato sauce, sprinkle a generous amount of oregano and a layer of mozzarella.
8. Over this place some of your aubergines slices and continue the same layering until all your ingredients is gone. The top layer will have tomato, oregano and mozzarella.
9. N.B. Keep an eye on your quantities so that you have enough mozzarella for the top.
10. Depending on what I have in the fridge, you can also add grated parmesan or cheddar to the top layer.
11. Lower the oven and bake at 200c/180c fan/gas 6 for around 30-40 minutes until the top is crisp and golden. Leave to rest or even better make earlier in the day or day before and reheat.
Italian Tomato Sauce
1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp. tomato puree
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tbsp. Italian dried herbs
4 tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. salt
1. In a saucepan heat olive oil and gently fry garlic (be very careful not to burn garlic).
2. Add tomatoes and mix in tomato puree and herbs.
3. Leave to simmer gently for approx. 20 minutes. Stir often.
4. When sauce has reduced and slightly thickened add salt. No sooner.
5. Leave to simmer another 5-10 minutes. If the sauce looks dry do not simmer any longer.
6. Cover with a tight fitting lid and allow to cool.