2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 carrots, diced
1 leek, diced
1 stick of celery, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
2 x 400g tins of brown or green lentils drained or 500g of cooked lentils
1 litre vegetable stock
1 tsp of fresh or dried thyme
1 tsp of fresh or dried oregano
300g spaghetti or tagliatelle
- Put the oil in in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat.
- When hot add the prepared onion, carrots, leek, celery and mushrooms and sauté for 10-15 minutes until onions are glassy in appearance and mushrooms are golden.
- Add the garlic and herbs and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stock and lentils. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the mixture has reduced and is rich and gloopy in texture. Season to taste.
- Serve with pasta and top with grated parmesan.
UKHarvest Top Tips!
Top the lentil bolognaise with mashed white or sweet potatoes to make a Lentil Shepherdess Pie
Don’t worry if you don’t have all the vegetables listed, you can swap ingredients such as mushrooms and lentils for any other veggies or pulses you have at home.
Finely chop chicken liver and add with the vegetables for a cheap and nutritious meaty twist
Bulk cook and freeze any leftovers into portions for a quick midweek meal