Van Driver - Job Description
Position title: Van Driver
Location: Chichester, West Sussex
We are an environmental food rescue & education charity based in Chichester, West Sussex who collect surplus food from businesses, supermarkets and suppliers, and deliver to 100+ different beneficiaries across Hampshire, West Sussex and East Sussex.
Our drivers support the logistics team with daily food rescue collections and deliveries. The role requires the driver to transport goods from UKHarvest’s donors (including retail outlets, wholesale centres, supermarkets and farms) and deliver to charities we support, ensuring excellent customer service and positive relationship development with key external stakeholders.
The role is ideally suited to a self-motivated, proactive and friendly individual, at ease with dealing with a wide range of customers daily. As well as collecting and delivering goods, our drivers are also expected to keep the vehicle in an excellent and clean condition. Drivers work to a shift pattern that covers both early mornings (could be as early as 07:00) and evening shifts (could be finished as late as 9pm).
We have been in operation for 2 years and demand for our service is increasing! If you would be interested in driving for us either during the day or in the evenings/weekends, please get in touch. We'd love to hear from you!
- Food collections and deliveries according to rota
- Daily operation and maintenance of the UKHarvest vehicle (including loading and unloading food into the store room and fridges, daily cleaning of the vehicle, vehicle safety inspections and refuelling as required)
- Integrate ad hoc collections and drop offs into daily rota as required
- Safe sorting and storage of any leftover food in the storeroom
- Accurate tracking and recording of daily collections (items and weights)
- Accurate recording of any notes and feedback from donors or charities
- Adhere to all safety regulations from a Work Health & Safety and Food Health & Safety perspective
- Report any accidents or incidents in a timely and accurate manner
Other duties as reasonably required.
Training & Qualifications
- Valid driver’s licence
- Training in basic food safety and hygiene
- Manual Handling Certificate
- Relevant experience working previously in a driving role or logistics
- Knowledge of the West Sussex, Hampshire, Brighton & Hove area and road system
Personal Abilities and Aptitudes
- A strong commitment and enthusiasm toward the vision of UKHarvest
- Energetic, positive, reliable, proactive and self-motivated individual, as the role requires spending hours on the road
- Strong communications skills (both verbal and written)
- Customer service skills and approach, with the ability to build and nurture relationships with both internal and external stakeholders including food donors and charities
- Ability to work in a team
- High attention to detail, with the ability to accurately record and report on food rescue statistics
- Solution-focused approach to work
- Sense of humour helps!
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Understanding of the UKHarvest food rescue operation
- Understanding and empathy with our mission and the charities we support
- Excellent problem-solving and planning skills
- Understanding of food health and safety legislation
- Well-developed time management and organisational skills
If this role sounds like a good fit for you, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org , referencing the job title in the email subject. For more infomation please call 01243 696940.