Community Education & Outreach Co-ordinator
Position title: Community Education & Outreach Co-Ordinator (Communities Team - Learning, Education and Participation)
Location: London based with some travel to South Coast
Responsible to: Nourish Hub Manager (London) and Director for Communities (National)
Responsible for: Project Delivery Staff: Project Assistants, Chefs, Volunteers
Salary: £35,000 to £37,500 per annum
Job purpose & overview:
UKHarvest is an environmental charity which believes that education is the answer to preventing food waste and to creating better life chances for the most vulnerable people in society.
London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham and The Mayor of London in partnership with UKHarvest are delivering a bespoke Nourish Hub in London, which will feed thousands of food insecure people and provide holistic education, training and work opportunities.
We need a Community Education and Outreach Co-ordinator to work with all sectors of the local community to enhance our engagement and service development and to deliver our services to where they are needed most. Someone with previous experience in either community work, education sustainability or nutrition and in the delivery of a wide range of community learning and education projects. Also, you will need the ability to work on your own initiative as well as part of a team, plus maintain and develop a range of high-level partnerships and working relationships with key external stakeholders.
This is a unique opportunity to lead an educational change programme which will really make a positive difference to the lives of thousands of people.
So, if saving our planet and providing educational opportunities to improve the lives of those in need are things you believe passionately about, we would love to hear from you.
Nourish Hub Background:
In 2017 the Mayor of London asked for bids from across the local authorities in London to deliver
projects under the Good Growth umbrella. The London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham
were selected to deliver the Nourish Hub, situated adjacent to the Edward Woods Estate in
Hammersmith. The hub will deliver opportunities for all to nourish the mind, body and soul. Using
rescued food as a medium to empower, people will be offered fresh food on a “donate as you dine"
basis and there will be the provision of activities to meet local need. UKHarvest, a national food
rescue and education charity has been chosen as the partner to deliver the activities within the
Hub, delivering learning and training opportunities and providing engagement and outreach
services for the local community.
UKHarvest works in partnership with local communities, public bodies, private companies and
other voluntary sector organisations to support communities in need. We deliver consistent and
high quality community development activity to improve social cohesion, to engage communities in
local decision making, and facilitate social action around nutrition and the environment, to improve
peoples lives and to engender community capacity building. We add value to community
development activities which are already in place.We provide sustainable solutions.
The Community Education and Outreach Co-ordinator is a key member of the Hub staff, reporting
directly to the Hub Manager. As an integral part of the overall Communities Team, the role holder
will lead on the development and delivery of community led projects. The first six months of the
role will include intensive community engagement and outreach in London and the facilitation and
delivery of bespoke community education programmes, in West Sussex (2 days/week) and
thereafter full time in London. These programmes include the co-designing of awareness raising
and learning programmes; community capacity building through events and campaigns,
community development and training; nutritional education projects, food growing and
environmental conservation activities; such as how to reduce household food waste.
• Lead on the implementation of engagement and participation with local community groups
and the community itself.
• Lead on the implementation of the Community Education and Learning Programmes, by
managing the development and delivery of a wide range of projects and a number of
programmes within the Communities Team portfolio.
• Ensure the delivery of high quality community work that includes nutritional advice and
support to local communities and enables local people to be empowered in their ability to
uptake offers to improve their quality of life and life chances.
• Assist the Hub Manager, Director for Communities and the CEO in identifying and
developing partnerships, funding and marketing opportunities for the Community
Senior Community Education Officer JD 1 of 4 August 2019 (YT)
Programmes, undertaking extensive outreach work to embed programmes within the
• Ensure professional best practice and compliance with internal finance, people and culture,
project management systems and all policies and procedures.
• Line management of other team members and volunteers.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities:
1. Programme coordination and project management
• Coordinate multi-faceted learning and education projects within the Communities Team
programme and support project staff in delivering specific projects, ensuring overall
programme outcomes and KPI’s are achieved.
• Responsibility for the development and implementation of a number of projects within the
local Communities Programmes, including overseeing delivery targets and managing
capacity and finances by ensuring that budgets are set, monitored and achieved.
2. Recruitment and management of staff
• Provide assistance in the recruitment of staff and volunteers.
• Line manage Project Officer(s), Project Assistant(s), including chefs, sessional staff and
Volunteers, developing and monitoring the performance and capacity of staff.
3. Evaluation and continuous improvement
• Ensure that project work is effectively monitored and evaluated, ensuring high quality
communication (including verbal and written reports) to and between partners, funders and
stakeholders, including ensuring the monitoring and evaluation requirements of the GLA
and LBH&F are met.
• Ensure that all completed projects undergo meaningful evaluation and that learning is
incorporated into future development and organisational strategy.
4. Relationship Management
• Establish, maintain and develop effective working relationships with key external
stakeholders and partners. Participate in local events and conferences to promote projects
and build partnerships for new project developments.
5. Development and fundraising
• Lead on the development of new projects by actively identifying development opportunities
and taking the initiative in developing new projects in liaison with the public, private,
voluntary and community sectors
• Work with the UKHarvest Fundraising Lead to compile funding bids and tenders.
6. Organisational development
• Actively participate in defining personal, team and organisational goals.
• Liaise with other community practitioners across London and the South Coast to share best
practice, ensure effective project delivery on cross-themed projects, replicate development
opportunities and maximise team skills.
Personal and Professional Development:
• Participate in the UKHarvest Performance Management and Appraisal process, and agree
short, medium and long term goals with line manager, and direct line staff.
• Identify learning and development needs with line manager and evaluate Training &
Development to demonstrate needs have been met.
• Share best practice and achievements, and actively seek opportunities to present
outcomes and case studies.
• Contribute to the learning of others across the organisation by sharing knowledge and skills
both informally and formally by participating in the trust’s training and development
Senior Community Education Officer JD 2 of 4 August 2019 (YT)
• Undertake any other related responsibilities commensurate with the evolving objectives of
the post and the evolution of UKHarvest, as may reasonably be requested by the Hub
Manager and / or Director for Communities and CEO.
• Promote the work and image of UKHarvest at all times, providing an efficient and courteous
• Ensure the effective implementation of and adherence to UKHarvest’s Diversity, Equal
Opportunities and Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Note to Applicant: When completing your application, you should demonstrate /evidence the extent
to which you have the necessary education, experience, knowledge and skills identified as a
requirement for the post.
UKHarvest Purpose & Expectation
Our purpose is to Nourish our Nation.
- UKHarvest is committed to rescuing surplus food to feed people in need and help the environment (food rescue is the core of the UKHarvest business)
- UKHarvest is committed to educating the general public and our clients about food waste, nutrition and living a healthier lifestyle (through public campaigns and our education programmes)
- UKHarvest is committed to engage with the community to maximise our impact (with the help of volunteers and through our regional programme REAP as well as through campaigns to raise general awareness of the issues surrounding reduction of food waste)
To achieve this purpose UKHarvest prides itself not only on being logistics experts but also having an exceptional ‘customer and community service’ focus.
We expect from our team members a strong commitment and passion for food rescue and education with the organisation’s vision at the forefront of all decisions and actions.
To apply please email a full CV together with a covering letter to our CEO, Yvonne Thomson at firstname.lastname@example.org