450g potato, peeled and sliced
3 standard sized leeks, cut into chunks
1 onion, diced
140g cheddar cheese, small cubes
Small knob of butter
Tablespoon of dried mixed herbs
For the pastry
500g plain flour
250g cold butter, cubed
Pinch of salt
5 tablespoons of cold water
1 egg, beaten
Include leftover ham or turkey if you fancy in this tasty pie.
To make the pastry:
- Rub the flour and butter together to form breadcrumbs
- Add the salt and combine
- Add the water a tablespoon at a time and mix with hands to bring together to form the dough ball
- Wrap the pastry dough in film wrap and rest in a fridge for a minimum of 25 minutes (whilst you make the filling)
To make the filling:
- Melt the butter over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and the leeks and allow to soften - about 8-10 mins
- In a separate saucepan of cold water put your sliced potato. Place on a medium/high heat and bring to the boil. Simmer for 3-4 minutes. Once cooked drain and put to one side.
- Add the herbs and cooked potato to the onion and leeks. Stir and cook for a further 2 mins over a medium heat.
- Remove the potato and leek mix from the heat and allow to cool.
- Once cool add the cheese and stir.